Zwift recently released a new set of routes on a made-up island called Makuri. Different from some of the other maps, this one has a ton of cross-roads, and there’s a lot to see. It’s pretty. So, of course, instead of cycling there, I thought it would be a fun exercise to find the shortest path that lets you see everything at least once. Without further ado, here’s the optimal path:
Making a hardware button that connects to wifi and sends a request off to a server is possible using Arduino. Light switches are (almost) immediate – but simple wifi switches easily take 8-10 seconds to connect & switch. How do you get that time down? Here’s my approach. Measure end-to-end - what’s the default time? Is it really that bad, or just sometimes bad? Split into parts Measure the parts Determine which parts should be optimized, and try options Combine the best options Debug why it doesn’t work and try again The computer we’re using to run on is an ESP8266, model ESP-01.
It’s May 2021, time for a new site, right? Thanks for dropping by! If you’re curious, I have a bit about the site written up here. I thought my blog had gotten a bit stale, so I might as well make it completely static. Then, in putting together the static version of the site, I ended up writing a bunch of new posts. … and also realized that there were various other things hangout around which would be nice to include.
After getting QMK to work, I thought it would be useful to document how I got it to work. This is starting from zero, using a Ubuntu live booting USB drive. Hardware I’m using a basic Pro Micro dev board. It uses the ATMEGA 32u4, and supports USB natively, which is what we need. When getting these, make sure to get Micro-USB (otherwise you have the chonky mini-USB), and the 5V/16MHz version.
Anyone can act like a bot just by using the Googlebot useragent in a request. Sometimes crawlers do that to see what other bots might see. Sometimes it’s to circumvent robots.txt directives that apply to them, but not to Googlebot. Sometimes people hope to get a glimpse at cloaking. Whatever the reason, these kinds of requests can be annoying since they make log file analysis much harder. Motivation for this excursion:
The lazy person’s guide to confirming that a move to a static site worked. Overview: Download all relevant URLs from Search Console Convert download to a URL list Check for http to https redirects Check for valid final URLs Download all relevant URLs I’m picking one approximate source of truth - the URLs that received impressions in Google Search. This list doesn’t need to be comprehensive, just something more than I’d manually pick.